From:
"Theriault, Kim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theriault, Kim
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:44:28 -0600

Hi All,

Based on a recent reaction I had to consuming some pork--horrible diarrhea-I wondered how Celiacs generally reacted to grain-fed protein sources.

I am mildly allergic to beef, soy, corn, and chicken and hugely allergic to eggs and wheat. (Chicken and eggs yield the same reaction as the pork did).

However, I have found that I have little reaction to exclusively grass-fed beef (which, by the way, is much more tasty than the supermarket kind--though much more expensive).

A Celiac friend of mine says she can eat chicken only if it is free-range.

I also have reactions to farm-raised salmon--but always thought that was due to the red food coloring in it which is not gluten free. Still, I avoid all farm-raised fish too.

This is an important inquiry to me because I have only once had a gluten reaction that resulted in diarrhea--normally the reaction is much more covert like brain fog, distemper, etc.

So I am trying to find out if these reactions are caused by food allergies or gluten that, in the high-tech hormone-fed world of meat production, may not have been digested properly by the live species. I am not sure what these animals are fed, but it may be that any grain or corn or soy is not a native food for animals or fish just as they aren't for humans.

It makes sense to me that these food sources would be a problem because I also get reactions to white vinegar, canola oil, and contaminations if something is made in a wheat processing facility (please don't insist that things like white vinegar or canola oil are gluten free--the list has debated these before--for me as many of you they are problematic and best avoided) but that also might have something to do with food allergies or, with the canola oil, the problems I have with corn.

Thank you in advance for your feedback--
Kim