From:
Gluten-Free Baking <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gluten-Free Baking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:10:52 -0400

Dear Gluten-Free Bakers,
I recently announced the grand prize winning recipe of my first ever recipe
contest. Carrie of North Carolina created a delightful gluten-free chocolate
chip cookie using a wonderful blend of flours. The resulting cookies are
sweet, crisp and utterly suburb. Enjoy the recipe! (For hundreds of other
recipes, visit my web site www.glutenfreebaking.com)

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies (Before or After going Gluten-Free!)
Dry Ingredients
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (If you don't have kosher salt, use 1/4 teaspoon
regular salt.)
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional) (Note from Elizabeth: I didn't find the
recipe to need the xanthan gum. Carries notes it as optional; so, I have
left it in the recipe.)

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet, or two, with
parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening, brown sugar and
granulated sugar until well blended. Add egg and vanilla extract.
4. Add dry ingredients to the shortening-egg mixture. Blend until a batter
forms. Reduce mixer speed to low and add chocolate chips.
5. Drop dough, two tablespoons each, onto prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. The
cookies will be puffy and light.* The cookies will look slightly "raw" in
the center.
7. Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet
for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool
completely.
8. Repeat with remaining dough.

Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.
* Note from Elizabeth: Carrie likes these cookies soft in the middle.
However, I know some folks prefer crispy cookies. If you like your cookie on
the crisp side, bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes or until evenly brown.

Happy Gluten-Free Baking,
Elizabeth Barbone
Owner, www.glutenfreebaking.com
Author, Easy Gluten-Free Baking