From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 04:46:44 -0500

Hi all,

I ran into a situation? last weekend that I just want to 'vent on' and share with you all.

I have received so much encouragement and information from this list!

My husband was just diagnosed with CD/Sprue last week, and I have been diagnosed since April of this year.  NOt a problem.  My loving husband stated "Would it help if I ate what you eat?" back last April! so, I have 'company!"

Anyway, as per 'Doctors instructions", as many know, I/we told my husbands parents/siblings it was suggested by the DR to get tested for Celiac/Sprue.  (I don't like to be told what to do, so, came from that angle?)  Well, one sister stated, "I don't want to know if I don't have any symptoms." (she did not bat and eye at the comment) My father-in-law stated, "I have eaten wheat for years, I don't have Celiac!"  Oh my!!!! these were overwhelming enough!!!! But we hit the 'jack pot' with the following!!! And, it probably took care of anyone getting tested!!!!!!!
Another Sister stated, (she has been a nurse for a hospital locally for about 30 yrs!), 'I don't give much stock to that, I have heard it all before with other supposed diseases that you don't even hear of any more! Fibromyalga was mentioned and other 'diseases'.  I was so overwhelmed and shocked by the short, curt, almost hateful response, I forget some of the other 'diseases' she mentioned!! and she listed some to the sister that just said she did not want to be tested if she did not have any symptoms!!!! The nurse/sister did 'slip in' that fact that she knew the 'Gluten Free Diet' was a big help, though.  Kinda like an after thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to scream/yell back, but all I could say, was, we wanted to let people know so that they could avoid the possibility of colon cancer and other related problems!!!!!!!

I went out and got my husbands attention, and we 'went for a walk' and talked about it.  I got one of those, "after the fact thoughts", and it did not help with the anger either!!!!!!!

I have not 'felt myself' for probably 3 yrs, and each symptom I got I would adapt to with ibruprophen and tylenol, and 'get used to' in time. (I have been able to 'look back' and what a frightening revelation of just how sick I was by the habits I developed!)  Anyway, I had gotten to the point of being short of breath coming up stairs, and 2 sec walk from the car into the house would about cause me to pass out!!!! So, I went to get blood work done, (with strong encouragement from a Chiropractor that stated I was severly anemic. ) Anyway, I was severly iron deficient 5.1, should have been 11, had a terrible pasty gray coloring, and saw several family members the weekend before the testing, so 'had witnesses' to my fatigue/illness? Anyway, after 2 unit blood transfusion, GF Diet, etc, I am feeling much better.  Anyway, the 'nurse/sister-in-law' was one that saw me looking 'like death!!!!'

Thanks for allowing me to 'vent', and thanks for 'reading'!

Diane, Iowa