From:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 15:51:54 -0700

In case you are interested, our local NPR station, KUOW, also did a
program on gluten intolerance, you can listen to it on line at the URL
below:  http://www.kuow.org/HumanCondition_030219.asp

The Human Condition 2/19/03

Guests: Karen Robertson, author, Cooking Gluten Free! and Cynthia
Kupper, Exec Dir of the Gluten Intolerance Group.

Topic: Loving the "Special Diet"

Our diets and our eating habits are a personal thing. We choose to eat
certain foods or due to health issues may have our diet chosen for us.
Be it allergies, Diabetes, or Heart Health. The worst part of the
special diet is not feeling like a regular old person. Who wants to say,
"Uh, no thanks, I can't eat that"? If you suffer from
gluten-intolerance, you may be saying, "No thanks" a lot. 1 out of 250
people is gluten-intolerant due to celiac disease, meaning that wheat,
rye, barley, spelt and perhaps even oats can cause intestinal damage.
Those grains are a huge part of the American diet, so what's a hungry
person to do? Karen Robertson's two children are gluten-intolerant. To
help them, she turned the entire family diet gluten-free and then set
about finding delicious and exciting recipes that anyone would want to
eat. Karen authored the cookbook, Cooking Gluten-Free! She joins us
today, along with Cynthia Kupper, Executive Director of the Gluten
Intolerance Group, as we talk about making a special diet something to
enjoy.

Listen to the show.

Related Links:
Gluten Intolerance Group