From:
Walt & Carolyn Reardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:37:31 -0500

Today there was a post regarding Pantane Pro-V shampoo.  I have
inadvertantly deleted it(wish I hadn't now).  It stated that the person had
spoken to someone at Pantane and the rep had said there was wheat in all of
Pantane's products.  I use the product so I immediately got off the internet
and called them. (They are part of Proctor and Gamble).  I was told that the
information on formulations of any of their products was no longer going to
be given out over the phone and that if I needed info on Pantane I must send
them a letter on my doctor's letterhead stating what things we were looking
for.  The letter was to be sent to   Consumer Relations
                                     PO Box 599
                                     Cincinnati, OH 45201
This distressed me greatly as I use a lot of P&G products.  I asked if this
was for everything or just the Pantane.  The rep said everything.  I hung up
and the called a different number for Oil of Olay also made by P&G.  I was
told the exact same thing by a different rep.  This one was male, the first
one was female so I knew it was a different person.  I ask this last time
did I need to send a seperate letter for each product I used.  He said that
the doctor could list each product, what we were looking for (wheat, rye,
oats, barley, gluten) on just one letter if we wished to.

Now to my question!  What suggestions do all of you have regarding this new
policy?  I for one know that I probably won't get a letter from my doctor
for months, if at all.  I know there are some out there who don't have gi
docs that are even helping them out a little bit with their disease.
Since I know that after you all call the 1-800 numbers from some of your
products there will be lots of discussion on this matter I am asking the
list serv to bear with us and let's have open discussion not just everyone
e-mail me and I do a summary.  This I believe is a great disservice to us as
Celiacs.  How are we going to fight for our rights?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and calling the 1-800 number
off of one of your Proctor and Gamble bottles.

Carolyn in Mississippi

Walt & Carolyn Reardon
2123 McKenzie Court
Biloxi, MS 39532-3324