From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:13:29 -0800

Ok, well I received so many responses about things I couldnt even read them
all. Essentially I am being told that paper towels and paper plates are
gluten-free, so not to worry about contaminiation. Someone did mention that
it is possible that there could be gluten on the first and last sheets in a
roll in order to make them stick.

Cutting Boards: I'm taking most people up on their suggestions and using my
very own (non-wood) instead of sharing, and I'm going to become very good at
cleaning the kitchen even though my roommates are slobs.

Deli Meats: no good, according to many. I did get some slices turkey and
chicken today, but I made sure they wiped down the cutter - she looked at me
like I was nuts). I threw away the first and last slice in each pack of
cold-cuts. It still makes me nervous though so I dont know if I'll continue
to do this. Constantly cooking chicken and turkey breasts is getting old
already.

Overwhelmingly I am being told by diagnosed celiacs that you can live a
gluten-free life just fine in a gluten-filled house. SO many people live in
families where some are celiac, some are not. As long as they keep stuff
seperate and be extra careful, they dont have problems. A few people did say
that I will never be gluten-free until I move to a gluten-free town and live
amongst only gluten-free people, drive a gluten-free car and watch only
gluten-free television shows. Ok, I'm using hyperbole here but thats the
gist of it.

So many kind, helpful people on this list. I thank you all from the bottom
of my heart. One person did tell me to "get a life and stop this incessant
posting" and I replied that I will get a life as soon as I get a handle on
the gf diet. Until then, he can delete my posts at his whim.

So here is day two on nothing but chicken, tuna, salmon, turkey, lettuce,
celery, carrots, olive oil, McCormick sea salt and McCormick ground pepper
(oh joy! what fun!). I'm going to stick to this for a few weeks, maybe try
adding some other (gluten & dairy-free) foods down the line. I hope that
within a month or two I can tell a difference or not. I get pangs of doubt
here and there that this is all in vain (biopsy negative, blood negative)
but encouragement from others who are not diagnosed Celiac but still find
gluten-free helps them feel better. Here's hoping.

Thanks All!

Patrick (Jupiter's not my real name)