From:
Victoria South <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victoria South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:56:15 -0500

My original post was: "I am looking for restaurants in the Pittsburgh,
Greensburg, Mt. Pleasant, Pa area that serve gluten-free dishes.  I already
know of the Outbacks--they are great and I eat there often.  I also like
the Boston Markets in the area.  Are there others that are as reliable?"

I received 5 replies and one request for an Outback menu.  Of the replies,
2 people mentioned Nino's in Mt Pleasant (they were by far the most
accommodating!), and 1 mentioned Nemacolin Woodlands.  Two also mentioned
the great healthfood store we have here in Mt. Pleasant!  There were a
couple restaurants in Pittsburgh mentioned, as well as Marie's Pizza parlor
in Mt Pleasant, Hoss's, and Tony Romas.  Thanks so much for your help!  I
appreciate it.

Here are the replies:

Nino’s (Rte 31, Mt Pleasant) has gluten-free pasta and a great salad bar.
I usually get the marinara sauce.  They even serve gluten free bread.  The
last time I was there I got two slices of bread, a biscuit and an Italian
type roll.  They ask that you call in two days ahead of time, but on a less
than busy night they can help you out.  I have eaten steak there and have
ordered steamed vegetables.
    Have you been to the store Herbalicious in Mt. Pleasant?  The owner
is a registered dietitician and is very knowledgeable to the celiac
plight.  She carries many gluten free products and books.  She sells a
frozen, gf pizza dough and has  made arrangements with a local pizza place,
Marie's, to bake a pizza using pans that have never had flour on them and
fresh ingredients.  I have done this once and it was very good.

Nino's in Mt. Pleasant has a gluten free menu.  Also, there is a store
called Herbalicious on Rt 31 (main road through Mt. Pleasant) that
sells all kinds of gluten free food (even ravioli!).  In Pittsburgh, if you
stick with the nicer restaurants (such as the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto) and
call ahead, you should be able to get something really good to eat.  I just
ate at Francos (in the theater district next to the O'Reilly theater) and
had a nice piece of sole with steamed veggies.

We eat at Max and Erma's in RIDC Park quite frequently and they are
very accomodating, at any time, slow or fast.
Also, if you ever go to Nemacolin Woodlands, they have been just great!

Do you have any Hoss's Steak and Seafood Houses in your
area?  I know they are a chain and mainly in PA but don't
know how frequently they appear out in the western part of
the state.  If you specify "no dust" they enter it into the
computer when you order and that's what the cook sees.  That
way they don't put anything on the meat when they cook it.
I always get mine grilled and haven't ever had reactions
there since diagnosis.  I always get the baked potato as my
side item.  The salad bar (included with the meal) is
wonderful.  Their vinaigrette and non-fat golden Italian
dressings are fine.  I used to love their broccoli salad but
found out it's not GF.  Beware.  Now I don't touch anything
"mixed" on the salad bar, only veggies, pickles, olives and
egg.  Skip the soups.  Discussions with the manager always
uncovers something in them that we can't have.  I don't even
ask any more.  The dessert bar breaks my heart every time,
but the fruits, Jellos and soft-serve ice cream are safe.
Hope this helps.

Do you guys have Tony Roma's out there?

Thanks so much for your responses!

My best to you,