From:
Chris Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:33:20 GMT

Sorry if this is an old question -- I'm new to the list..

I read in a couple books that buckwheat flour is ok -- but that you have to
be sure the flour is "pure" and isn't mixed with wheat. Well, I found some at
the HF store from Arrow(head?) Mills (they are the primary alternative flour
supplier my store uses) but it just said "Ingredients: buckwheat flour" and
made no mention of "pure." I looked for a phone number to call but it seemed
to be an independent number to call if you wanted to verify that the product
was organic.

Does anyone know if this product is safe; and if so, is there a good flour to
mix it with other than rice or corn flour/starch if you want to make muffins
or pancakes? I'm trying to alternate my grains in order to avoid developing a
sensitivity to rice. But I understand that buckwheat flour is kind of "heavy"
if you use it alone.

By the way, thanks for the input on purchase/storage of Bean flour. I made
Bette Hageman's sesame-bean flour bread (from the recipe in her third book)
and couldn't believe how much it felt and tasted like "real" bread. WOW!

Thanks,

Chris Harrison
Bakersfield, CA