From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:59:53 -0400

Here is a summary of responses in regards to the IV solution used for retinal
fluoroscopic angiogram.  Thank you to those of you who responded to my
question regarding the cf status of this solution.  For your interest, I
cancelled the medical procedure as I felt there was a bit too much messing
around with my eyes which is in itself scary for me for certain reasons.
--------------
It is probably the solution that was used on me, or similar to it.  I can't
tell you my reaction to it, because at that time I was unaware of CD and so I
was not GF.

I am a self-diagnosed celiac, 44 years old.  I was diagnosed with macular
degeneration in January, 1996, and I am now legally blind.  The doctors say
I also have the beginnings of cataracts  I know that eye problems in general
are on thelist of symptoms that have higher incidence among celiacs.  My
mother has had cataracts, and has treatable glaucoma.  I believe she also has
CD, and I think my father probably had also.  He had cataracts as well. No
clinical proof, though, just my observations, putting together all the health
clues.

My own theory is that the long years of malabsorption caused by the CD led
to the macular degeneration, because I am "too young" in the opinion of many
doctors to have mac.degen.
--------------------
I don't know if there is greater incidence of cateracts and mascular
degeration with CD, but I have read about supplements and herbs extensively.
 If you have this problem you should supplement your diet with Bilberry.
--------------------
my optometrist connection says:

1.  The ingredients in the fluorescent sodium - sodium, sodium hydroxide
and hydrochloric acid are gluten free.

2.  To her knowledge, there is not any greater incidence for macular
degeneration and cataracts in celiac disease.  Cataracts are a natural
part of aging.  Macular degeneration is becoming more common age related.

Just as an added note - I have glaucoma and they are always running tests
on my eyes - glaucoma tests, dialation - whenever they put any drops in
my eyes, I generally have a looser bowel movement that evening.  So,
don't be surprised if you have a minor problem later in the day.  I am
not a medical person, just commenting on my own experience with eye
stuff.