From:
Don Millette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 19:30:01 -0700

I am glad someone touched on the subject of well meaning friends.  I have a
wheat eating friend who was quite insistant on baking me a GF cake since she
had taken a three term course on cooking professionally.  Well, I thought it
was a good idea to be polite about it and eat what she had made for me...
Even after asking her several questions about the ingredients she insisted
that it was gluten free...  I was put in a very awkward position, feeling
like she  would be insulted if I didin't eat it...  My family is just as bad
when it comes to this sort of thing...  My brother brought home some food
from taco time for me the other day saying that he asked the cashier if the
tacos were gluten free.  They said "their made from corn flour, I don't
think there is gluten in them"  When I tried to politely explain that gluten
is not directly an ingredient but a protein that can be hidden he got upset
with me.

The lady at Purdy's chocholates in Chinook mall, Calgary Alberta Canada got
me upset too!  I asked if they had some written documentation on their
chocolates because I am sensitive to a protein called gluten... She read out
the ingredients on the page with lightning speed and then smiled at me
saying "Theirs no gluten listed here sir, I think these are ok for you"  I
nearly lost my temper... then politely told her I would go to the other end
of the mall where Laura Seacord was since they have a list of gluten free
chocholates.  They even warn you in large black letters that cross
contamination is a possibility and that even though it says gluten free they
may have come into contact with substances containing gluten...

If anyone is interested in a  copy of the Laura Seacord gluten free list I
will obtain a copy of it and scan it into the computer... Send me private
Email and I will send you a copy of it!

Don Millette

The "GLUTEN PEOPLE" can get on my nerves sometimes!