Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:54:32 -0600

Hi All--

When I was dx'd with celiac six or so years ago, l-glutamine was not known
to be beneficial (or no one told me), so I didn't take it. This past
weekend, a compounding pharmacist who has done extensive research into
celiac disease (and other related disorders like hypothyroidism and acid
reflux) suggested that I take a course of l-glutamine, powdered form, 1 tsp.
15 min. before each meal in water. Let me stipulate that this pharmacist is
more qualified in his specialty areas than most MDs I know. Let me also
stipulate that he is qualified to dispense homeopathic remedies.

My first dose of l-glutamine made me just the slightest bit nauseated. The
second dose a bit more nauseous, and the dose on Sunday a.m. put me in bed
for most of the day. L-glutamine is not a foreign substance - it is
something our bodies make. I'm now off of the L-glutamine while the
pharmacist researches my reaction. My own attempts to find documented side
effects was fruitless.

Whether or not this is related, I don't know, but two years ago, this same
pharmacist thought that since my liver enzymes were so high when I was
diagnosed with celiac that going through a homeopathic liver detox might be
helpful. One drop of the liquid on my tongue once per day caused moderate to
severe discomfort. That attempt to treat me with a fairly innocuous
substance failed as well.

I'm a proponent of homeopathic medicine and lately, have more faith in my
own medical discoveries than anything my GP might offer. Alabama medical
insurance, however, does not cover visits to naturopaths - of which we have
very few anyway. I am truly concerned that 50 years without a celiac
diagnosis and 50 years of trial and error by Western physicians may have
actually hurt me in the long run. Don't misunderstand me and think that I am
bashing all doctors and Western medicine. My father was a physician, but his
medicine in the 1970s was way different than the medicine we have now.

Are there any medical professionals (or others) who would be kind enough to
share their opinions on the process that might be preventing me from taking
the l-glutamine - or ability to detox my liver via homeopathic means? Or is
this just a case of, "everyone is different, so don't sweat it" ?

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

PS--I did just learn that one other person on this list with celiac reacted
to l-glutamine. Her reaction was one of pain rather than nausea, but she did
have to stop taking it.