CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:50:39 -0500

Listmates:

I would like to make a clarification on the school situation that
Brittany has experienced. Brittany has always had special treats
available at school, when I have been informed of special events.
I have a degree in nutrition and have gone to the "nth" degree to make
her feel better about this situation.

In the past year we have had experiences of a teacher refusing to let
Brittany go get a sugar-free popsicle from the nurse's office (where we
keep a supply on hand) in case the teachers forget to tell me there is a
special event. They did not tell me about a party and the teacher
refused to let her go get a popsicle. Now Brit always has food at school
for emergencies, but this was a tramatic experience and the school nurse
was mortified. (And Brit was crushed!)

The situation is complicated and not really about the availability of
special treats for Brittany. It is about the fact that she has started
to finally grieve her loss food selections and doesn't feel in control.
The teachers at school think she just should get over it because she has
to deal with this her whole life! Brittany would also like everyone to
have healthy choices of food at parties at school. With my background in
nutrition and the support of the school nurse we are going to address
this situation with parents. Brittany is feeling very different right
not, and as we know none of us like to be different. Brit never had
particularly liked sweet treats and I think some of this reaction is
grieving about the celiac disease too. Our diet is extremely healthy,
but as we all know it is limited! I have celiac disease and some other
health problems, there are times I don't like it either.

The good news is that Brittany's pediatrician returned my call last
night because I wanted to bring him up to date on things before we go in
today for her flu shot. Brittany at this point does not want to
participate in school parties, she just wants a breather and she
suggested to me that she would like to go be a helper in a 1st or 2nd
grade class when the monthly "big" birthday celebration rolls around.
The school nurse and I thought this was a very mature attitude for a 8
yr. old. She isn't saying, she doesn't want to go to school or wants to
come home to avoid things, she just wants another choice. The doc is
very supportive of this and feels that this positive choice to help
others and it will help her through the grieving process. The doc also
stated that the biggest problem people have with diabetes/celiac disease
is the loss of control. It takes a long time for this adjustment - just
because Brit isn't on her teacher's time frame of acceptance doesn't
mean it is wrong. We have had a very strong little girl, who started
doing her own finger pokes and shots at 6-8 weeks after dm. She was
still 7 yrs. old. (Dm diag. 1-98)  As parents we think she should be
allowed to be a kid and have some pleasant experiences. Then as time
passes she will want to be back with her friends at the school parties.
When the party includes one of her best friends I think Brit will want
to be part of it.

Just so you know, Brit was diag. w/celiac at 10 mos. and never has
refused to go to any b-day parties. Because she has such a pleasant
personality this kid gets invited to 30-40 b-day parties a year outside
of school. We finally had to start to pick and chose because we were
spending all our free time going to b-day parties. I think because Brit
handled her celiac disease so well, parents wanted there children
exposed to her, plus she is a delight to have around. Brit just needs
some down time and we are going to see that she gets it.

By the way, the doc is going to send a letter to the school outlining
how this should be handled and I am glad I have someone in "our court."
(Besides the school nurse). Now if we can just get the teachers to "get
over it" - we will be fine.

Please list anymore ideas - I am always open for suggestions.

Pam
(The mom runover by the Halloween Truck of Candy/Cookies!)