CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 10:03:53 -0700

Pat wrote:  Since I was interested in losing weight (10 pounds), she reviewed
my calorie counts and *added 140 more c alories* (thanks so much).

I'm curious about some alternate flours.  I've read that spelt is bad and
that teff is unknown, but have seen no reference to quinoa.  I suspect that
it's a no-no, but would appreciate any further insights on teff and quinoa.
<snip>

Hi Pat~ I'm relatively new at all this myself but maybe you can eat more
salads & free foods (not the carbs). I'm jealous~ I WISH I had only 10
pounds to lose!

As for Spelt-- it's not *bad* it just contains gluten! So if you are GF
, spelt is just another name for wheat/gluten.

Teff (I'm quoting from Against the Grain)- the smallest grain in the
world, the grain of choice a traditional Ethiopian flat bread. It is
wheat but not gluten free.

Quinoa- apparently the jury is still out on this one.... I've seen it on
the store shelves with the label "Gluten Free", but for some reason
different groups seem to disagree about this one. Either try it & see if
it causes YOU problems, or if in doubt leave it out!
I've tried it & had no reaction (I react to stuff like white vinegar &
mono & diglycerides- fairly sensitive). It does not contain the gliadin
protein molecular structure that others those w/ sprue.

As for finding the ultimate GF grains~ the ones that work best- adding
texture & flavor are so loaded with empty calories & carbs, the bad
outweighs the good. (I'm referring here to Tapioca, & Sweet Rice Flour).

The bean flours are higher in fiber & protein, but need to be mixed with
other flours or have a heavy gritty texture that does not hold up well.

Looks like we are in the same boat... still looking for that right
combination that is sprue & DM friendly.

Fran