CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:25:23 -0500

Hello,

I noticed a few new people to the D/Celiac way of life.
I’ve had type 1 for 11 years and celiac for 5 years.
Here is info that helped me, or worked for me:

1)  At the beginning test often; especially if you are trying something
    new (say first time skating since the diabetes diagnostic).
    This way you will know yourself as a diabetic.
2)  Winter sports: Exercise could change your medication requirements.
    I noticed for me that when I get cold feet(ex. Skating) that burns
    up sugar. So I either have sweets, or cut down on the insulin.
    Or both.Important exercice could influence your blood sugars for
    24 hours! Keep that in mind if you go for a 5 hours bike ride!!
3)  This may sound boring, but it simplified things for me for a
    while: be regular in your intake.
    I mean have stable starch/fruit intake at every meal, so to
    stabilize how much medication you need for that quantity of starch
    at that time of day. Ex. Breakfast 2 GF toast, a   fruit(and other
    things that do not contribute to blood sugars). Lunch: I starchy
    portion(ex:potato salad) a fruit and food(that do not contribute
    to blood sugars). Supper: I starchy portion(ex: potato  salad)
    and a fruit and stuff that does not contribute to blood sugars.
    This helped me have good control and stable weight and figure out
    how much medication I needed.

4)  Knowing where the carbs are is not obvious at the beginning.

5)  What is a fruit portion: 10 grapes, or 10 stawberries, or half a
grapefuit, or half of a banana. Or an apple, or two small oranges…
6)  At the begining of the celiac diet our tummy can get upset with beans,
chick peas, coffee, chocolat, cold drinks, milk products. Some GF products
(ex: some breads) contain powdered milk which could be hard to digest at
the beginning of the GF diet because the villy in the intestin is affected.
7)  It could take a while to feel better. You are living many changes.

With time you may feel that if you are going to give yourself this much
trouble it may as well be worth it and you will do what you were doing
before all this happened.

Good luck