CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:24:36 -0500

><< trying to make a wheat bread without sugar in my bread maker but it is now
> working very well, I sure would like some help with this.
>  >>
I'm a bit surprised at this question here, but it isn't that hard.  Some
people recommend a pinch of ginger instead of sugar.

Even better, use malt, because it has the enzyme, diastase, that breaks
down the wheat into maltose (malt sugar).

You can make your own malt by sprouting wheat berries (from a health food
store) or whole barley (theoretically possible but I've never found it
except with the hulls removed--and that kind won't work) until the sprouts
are about a half inch long, drying them in a warm oven overnight (leave the
door open a crack to let the mositure escape), and then grinding them to a
powder.  A half teaspoon or so per batch will do the trick.

Barbara