CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:21:34 -0800

Pam wrote: I suffered for many years wearing
gas perms and got to where I could only wear them for about 4 hours on
special occasions. About 2 years ago I started wearing a Focusvue lens
(a toric lens - I have a severe astigmitism) which I wasn't able to do
before before the vision wasn't good enough. These lenses relieved a lot
of my discomfort until about a year ago. Not wearing my glasses didn't
help - eyes still dry. <snip>

I used to hear "hard" contact lenses, but started losing them often &
gave up. Then an astigmatism became so severe, they steered me away from
contacts entirely.
I understand there is more availability in the realms of contacts
(soft/extended wear?)

Could listmates please elaborate on what a *toric* contact lens is?
just how expensive would that be (compared to regular contacts)?
can you waer them for extended periods?
any cautions because of the diabetes?

I would love to lose the glasses if I could, once again
they now have corrective laser surgery, but it is expensive ($2000 per
eye) & a certain % still have to wear corrective lenses, post surgery.

~Fran