CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pluke, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:39:16 -0600

Hi,  I haven't written anything in awhile.  I'm having a frustrating problem
& wanted some input from those on the list.  I am a Type 2 diabetic and
control it with exercise and diet (for almost 6 years).

I wore contact lenses for 30 years (22 on the old hard lenses & 5 on gas
perms).  I was having problems about a year and a half ago & got a new pair
of gas perms and new bifocals.  My optometrist determined that I have no
damage to my eyes as a result of the diabetes.

However, in the first 6-9 months on the new glasses and contact lenses, he
had to switch the prescription about 3 times.  I was frustrated, so went to
an ophthalmologist to have things double-checked.  Again there was no
diabetic retinopathy & the latest prescription for glasses was fine.  Well,
I was still having problems with my contact lenses.  It turned out that my
eyes were very dry, so I stopped wearing the contact lenses and my eye glass
prescription had changed again! (this is about 5 months since the last
change).  The optometrist then asked if I was diabetic [which was in my file
& a fact that I point out annually] & said, "Oh that would be why your eyes
keep changing.").

Fortunately, I didn't have the other eyeglass prescription changed because
now sometimes I can see well with the one pair, and at other times with the
other pair.  The optometrist said he knows of one diabetic lady who has 7
pairs of eyeglasses & uses all of them at different times.

My blood sugar is in good control (Ha1c=6.6).  Do other diabetics experience
this problem?   If you do, how do you handle it?

Thanks!

Linda Pluke
Wis Rapids, WI