CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:04:36 -0500

I enjoy the list, but I don't always have the time to contribute since
this is our family's first year of celiac/diabetes. Brittany is
discovering how uncomfortable the holidays (Halloween for starters)
at school. Last week was the week from you know where. Brittany finally
realized just how restricting her diet is, lot of tears. I think the
gluten thing really gets to more than the sugar. The celiac was diag in
1991 when she was 10 mos. I think now she is just starting the grieving
process for both diseases. This child has been a trooper and hardly
complained since the dm diag. in Jan.

I would like to see us continue through the holidays of this year if
possible because there might be questions other people have that will
surface at this time of year. But I also realize that we haven't had
much activity on our list the last several weeks.

Pam

The celiac mom who survived Halloween with a cel/dm daughter! I think
she will be o.k., but we have had some real inconsiderate parents at
school that refused to have apples (even though we had been told apples
would be there) at the Halloween Party. The story is a dissertation in
itself, but the school is going to enforce a policy that there must also
be a healthy food at these parties. We will see what happens.