CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:30:16 -0500

I just started on insulin a month ago.  The first two weeks it worked great
but now I am experiencing some real highs and lows.  About 3 times so far I
have woken up in the middle of the night with sweats.  When I take my sugar
it's between 50 & 60.  The first time it happened I could not get in touch
with my doctor so I asked a friend if I handled it right.  I had gotten up
and eaten and gone back to bed.  She told be to stay awake until it gets
closer to normal.

I finally got in touch with my doctor after if happened again.  He changed
the amount of insulin I take but it did not help.  Last night I woke up
again and it was 52.  I stayed up for about 1/2 hr and kept testing my
sugar.  I could only get it to go to 60 but felt I ate enough to get it to
rise.  When I woke up this morning it was 222.  So, I ate too much.
I would like to know how others handle this.  Is it dangerous to go back to
sleep if I had eaten something?

Ginny