CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 23:30:43 EST

Folks,

   I just wanted to share a good experience with you since we don't often have
them where our diet is concerned!

   I was invited to a family affair where food was involved all weekend. When I
answered the invitation, I asked about gluten-free food; my relatives were
aware I am a type 1 diabetic. Dinner was served Friday night, a lunch on
Saturday and cocktail hour and sit down dinner on Saturday night...plus a
Sunday brunch which I did not get to attend. (It may have helped that my
cousins are both doctors and they were the hosts).

   My first meal Friday night I spoke with a representative from the catering
office and I was told they were fully aware of gluten-free food. For each
served meal, I had a special dinner that was geared toward a diabetic diet AND
gluten-free! Most folks had couscous, but I was given roasted potatoes. When
dessert was served, I was given fruit. Another relative is also a diabetic and
she too received  a diabetic diet (not gluten-free). I was amazed! Everything
was delicious and my blood sugars remained between 95-102 the entire weekend.
I just wrote a letter of appreciation to these relatives for taking the time
to address my needs so successfully! An extra surprise was meeting another
celiac at my table for dinner! She did not make arrangements ahead of time but
I notified the server that her needs were also gluten-free!

   Wishing the rest of you such good luck!

Lynn, who spent 4 1/2 hours at a fitness center today, back in Omaha!