CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Machut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 10:23:40 EST

We've been very lucky at our school this year because we did have a meeting at
the beginning of the year with the principal, the school nurse, the new
teacher, and the school secretary.  We brought them research on celiac disease
and diabetes, and told them the importance of keeping our son on his diet
while making him feel that he fits in.  Our PTA has also been great.  They
call me the week before a class party and ask what they can get for Danny.
They will usually buy him a diet pop and the brand of potato chips or ice
cream that he can eat.  Then we adjust his insulin &/or lunch to accomodate
the additional carbs.  This, in conjunction with making him low carb, gluten
free brownies that are kept frozen in the nurse's office has made parties so
far go rather smoothly.

By the way, we go to the University of Chicago Hospital for Danny's
Gastroenterologist, and he is telling us that the latest research shows that
whole oats are OK. Check this out with your doctors before letting your child
eat oats - many oatmeals have other glutens in them.  Being able to eat oats
has opened up a new variety of cereals for Danny.

There are also many companies who sell bread mixes for bread machines or
without.  If anyone is interested, I'll post the names of companies with
excellent food that you can order through the mail.  We had a taste testing
day where many companies came and let us try their food.  It was a great
idea!!!  Maybe you could contact the companies and have one of these taste
testings in your area!