CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Marschilok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:33:08 EST

Once the intestine is healed there is usually a need for insulin adjustment
upwards, sometimes dramatically.  THat is because as the absorbtion improves
the insulin need increases.    My son is now 16, got diabetes at the age of 8,
went on the insulin pump at age 11.  I have done pump education with children
age 8 1/2 on up.  THis summer at a Type 1 conference in Denver I talked with
diabetes educators who have worked with 3 and 4 year olds on the pump.  many
thought that to work with 5-6 year olds was commonplace.  A practice in
Florida, Dr. Robin Nemery has probably put more young children on than anyone
else in the country.  Good luck.  Katie