CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:18:46 -0800

I wrote: >> Gf flours are very high in the carb department.

Kemp wrote:  and once again I beg to differ with Fran on this, both for home
and commercially baked bread-like foods.  All flours are very high in carbs
<snip>

(gluten free) bread is 22g of carb per slice.

For comparison, whole wheat bread can run 15+ g/carb per slice.

Yes, the calorie counts in GF are much higher.  Anyway......  the point is,
chances are if you are trying to control diabetes with reduced carb intake,
you will need to eat much smaller amounts of gluten free grain products than
you could consume of lower glycemic index grains that contain gluten.

I won't bicker about this, just read the labels. If they foods don't
have a label--the manufacturers are required to have the information &
make it available upon request (in the US). Pay extra attention to the
serving size & know any ingredients you add to those flours, increase
the nutritional fact numbers.

BTW, Ener-G foods does have a "Tapioca Loaf" of GF bread that is 11g
carb per slice-- but I must say it is more reminiscent of styrofoam than
bread. It is OK toasted though.

~Fran