CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Marschilok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:22:31 EST

My son also has CD and diabetes.  My other 2 children also have CD.  Once the
gluten free diet is begun, there may be some need for insulin adjustment as
the intestine starts to heal, because the absorption improves.  Overall, once
he is well healed, you may see improvement in his overall diabetes control.
   My son has used insulin pump therapy for the last 5 years.  That helps so
much to even out the blood sugars and allow him to eat the dense carbohydrate
that some of the gluten free foods are without harming his control.
   The double wammy is tough, but once healing occurs, so does great growth.
Good luck,   Katie Marschilok