CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 08:22:18 -0100

Good morning,
I was reading the messages going back and forth and was wondering if I could
ask you to respond privately to a question.....

We are a mail order baking mix company that specializes our products to
Celiacs and others needing a gluten-free and wheat-free diet.  I don't
usually respond to the posts because of this reason-I don't want to appear
solicitous or interfere.  I usually just read it to get a feel of what
people are saying. However, I have been working on creating a line of
diabetic gluten-free baking mixes and products to help  meet our Celiac
diabetic customer needs.

I have been playing with some alternative sweeteners that still contain the
bulk needed for a recipe, and alternative 'fats'.  As a health professional,
I am aware of diabetic needs and somewhat leery of special food 'claims'.
But any experience you could share or advice you could offer would be
GREATLY appreciated.  Or any desires you would have as a mother of a
juvenile diabetic would be appreciated.

With over 5% of diabetics in the USA being Celiac as well, it seems a shame
NOT to try to come up with something to help them, particularly the kids.

Please feel free to privately e-mail ANY and ALL suggestions you have.  I've
learned a lot about baking with these gluten-free flours over the years and
would love to be able to put the knowledge to greater use and help.

Thank you!
Jay Berger