CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Seim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:18:54 -0600

I don't know where to begin, but with blood sugars that high, I highly
recommend taking some form of insulin to get the sugars under control.  You
won't lose the ability to produce insuling, if your pancreas is really and
truly working.  Both undiagnosed diabetes and celiac will cause weight loss,
but if you body cannot convert carbohydrates to useable energy, you will
still continue to lose weight because insulin is the key to the conversion.
If you blood sugars remain high you run the risk of ketoacidosis, the bad
breakdown of converting body energy from muscle tissue causing acid to build
up in the blood.  Also many gluten-free foods, rice potatoes etc. raise the
blood sugars quite quickly causing higher blood sugar readings.  Take care
of the diabetes AND the gluten diet at the same time.  You will feel much
better and weight will come back more quickly.  If you experience a lot of
low blood sugar readings you may eventually wean yourself off the insulin,
but I wouldn't count on it.  Diabetes and celiac have a nasty way of going
hand-in-hand.  Good luck.

Mary