CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:02:56 -0500

Ann:

> Maybe other children would prefer some fruit over the candy as well.

Interesting that you made this comment. Last weekend our next door
neighbor girl is in 6th grade. She was over and we started to talk about
this. She stated that they had too much sweet stuff at her grade's
party. "I had all that Halloween candy the night before and the last
thing I wanted was more candy and cookies!" She said two cookies, (one
sugar cookie and another with lots of frosting was put on her plate),
the parents then gave each 6th grader 3 candy bars and they had apple
cider and Hawaiian punch to drink. She said she threw the cookies and
candy away, she couldn't stomach anymore. She didn't even opt to bring
them home. She drank a little apple cider. And this is the perspective
of a normal, healthy (non-diabetic/celiac) child. Something to think
about. I noticed at the school parties last year there was so much
excess that most of the sweet treats get thrown away.

Pam