CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:07:23 -0700

Hi Stephen! Well hang in there- the first several months are the most
difficult in making these transitions. Might I suggest to you a really
great book titled "Against the Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell. ISBN #
0-8050-3625-3

This is a great book about how to proceed in the *real world* while
going gluten free.
The author writes about the whole gluten situation & seriousness of
having to avoid it with a healthy dose of humor thrown in. Lot's of good
info there & some laughs too... as well as some recipies and lots of
mail order vendors of GF foods.

The book has excellent tips on how to get YOUR needs met in the gluten
laden world.
Restaurants for example, can be asked behind the scenes (via phone or
fax) what entrees can be safe for you. You may find a few *safe*
restaurants that you choose to frequent because you've already
established they are OK.

Admittedly, it takes more planning and work to get this together, but in
the long run , you will feel more comfortable, AND get your needs met.
If you go the extra mile & ask for fresh fruit or acceptable snack to be
made available- it's better then starving while everyone else eats
bagels in a lengthy work meeting, for instance.

You wrote:

I find it hard to reason with others and myself over those hidden
ingredients.

>>>Well, you do need to make the effort though.  I found it easier to get
the homefront squared away & then when on solid ground, started trying
restaurants.

For instance - say I go out with others to a restaurant.  Should I always
assume that the salsa and corn chips have been contaminated with flour?

>>>No, you could call & ask

  And what restaurants can I eat at.  Oriental is out, even though it is
hard to convince others because they serve rice, but everything is laced
with soya sauce.

>>> There again, you could request that yours be made w/ no soy sauce.
By the way San J makes wheat free soy sauce (look for it @ health food
stores)

  Should I assume that Mexican is out because their corn flour torillas will
probably be contaminated with flour.  Their intentions may be good, but if
they just rolled out a flour tortilla and put corn flour on top of the wheat
flour on the table, then it will be contanimated.

with you on.  One you find one that is "happening" you've found a safe
haven!

  What about barbeque sauce.  Barbeque is very popular in Texas, and all my
co-workers want to take me to their favourite barbeque restaurant.  Should I
assume that all barbeque sauce is contaminated.  Ok, I should ask the cook,
but if the cook is like most people, they will say 'No, there is no wheat in
it.'  Their 'No' means there isn't cups of flour in it, but how much.

>>> Certain sauces are GF, I can send you a list......
for home bbq, you can bring your own-- or have a bbq @ your place & fit
right in w/o the fuss.

  When I go out to eat, I guess I should always go to a fine restaurant and
ask for the food to be prepare plain, so as to avoid contamination, but then
I feel so paranoid, I'm not enjoying the meal and I'm making others
uncomfortable.

>>>Yes, they call it *Restaurant roulette* I don't like having to
interrogate the server in restaurants either...  but I need a meal that is
not going to make me sick.  You gotta read that book mentioned above!
Remember you don't have to detail the disease <ad nauseum> to the innocent
restaurant servers....  more often then not I just say I have a "food
allergy" & need say "no sauce" for example.  The better the restaurant, the
better the chances of getting a safe meal.  Don't feel bad about sending
something back.

It happened to me @ the christmas party-- oops! I'm the salad woth  no
croutons, could you please replace this?  With a smile ... no big
deal..... no lecture of my medical condition..... need a salad how I
ordered it thanks.

If I'm paying for a nice dinner, it needs to be to my specs & I'll be
nice about reminding if need be. After a while you'll get good about
picking menu items that can easily be GF.

> Dx'x in April means you are still adjusting & figuring out what works
> for you. Are you a type 1 or 2 diabetic?

Not diabetic at all.

>>>I asked because this list is the celiac diabetes list!  We are celiac
friendly, but also have the diabetes element to juggle as well.  There is
another list for Celiac alone.....

They also have a FAQ that would be a treasure chest of info for the
newly DX'd.

> Have you seen a dietician?

Yes, I've recently moved to Austin (from Canada) and now have medical
coverage and will be seing a doctor (internist), so maybe he can refer me to
a dietician.  In Canada I did see a dietician.  She explained all the
basics, but I don't know how far I have to go.And while I remember SPELT -
is that on the avoid list or OK list?

>>>Spelt, Kamut, triticale are in the wheat family.... sorry! Not safe  =  (

~ Fran