CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:47:32 -0500

I wrote:

>>and once again I beg to differ with Fran on this, both for home and
>>commercially baked bread-like foods. All flours are very high in carbs
>><snip>

Fran replied:

>>Best I can say is do your homework on this.  For example Food for Life
>>(gluten free) bread is 22g of carb per slice.

>>For comparison, whole wheat bread can run 15+ g/carb per slice.

Proper comparison is per weight of final product. Most of the variation in
carbs, hence calories, from one slice to another, whether commercial or
home-baked comes from the weight of the slice. Ever look at a slice of
"low-cal" bread? Thin and/or with lots of "loft" (air from yeast, I
guess). Weight of slices range from 1/2 to 1+ oz, that's 14 to 30 + grams.
But l flours are 75-100% carbohydrate by weight and are the major
ingredient by weight in bread.

Unless you can't cut a slice of GF bread as thin as gluten bread, I see no
difference in effects of bread in a diabetic diet. Bad actor to be used in
moderation, if at all.

Meanwhile,  fresh fruit and vegetables (except raisins and dates) have
much lower percentage of carbohydrates by weight (and lower glycemic
indices).  8 oz. of beets (224 grams) is only 16 grams carb.

                         Kemp