CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jones, Sara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:26:39 -0600

        In reference to the appropriateness of the Sugarbusters dietary
information for all,  I must agree with earlier message of Kemp Randolph
that "(some) messages intended for only one type of diabetes should be so
marked."

>  I am speaking out as an adult with long-time Type 1 Diabetes, and as the
> sibling of a Type 1 Diabetics lost over 25 years ago  to a severe insulin
> reaction.  My own concern is that several of the more recent messages on
> the List could be confusing to some of the newer subscribers, especially
> individuals with Type 1 Diabetes who've just recently received a diagnosis
> of Celiac Disease,  and/or parents of young children or teens struggling
> to learn as much and as fast as possible everything they feel they need to
> know to safely manage a Type 1 child/teen with Diabetes in the Celiac and
> gluten-free environment.

        My concern focuses on two recent subjects of discussion (1) the
sugarbusters diet, and (2) the discussions on wheat breads without sugar.

        Thank you (!) Fran for the clarification to list subscribers about
wheat NOT being appropriate for the Celiac diet, even if the preparation of
wheat breads (without sugar) is discussed on this list. As a reminder to
many  MALT is also a concern to those with Celiac disease, mentioned in
connection with the preparation of the sugarless wheat bread.

        With respect to the Sugarbusters diet and the amount of attention it
has recently been given,  my concern stems less from its apparent
restriction of refined sugars and more from the reported restriction of some
(gluten-free) complex carbohydrates such as white rice, corn and potatoes.
Complex carbohydrates are among the key ingredients in the diet of many, if
not most,  persons trying to manage a Type 1 Diabetes condition with
multiple insulin injections.  Since the gluten-free diet already restricts
complex carbohydrate choices by its elimination of flour/wheat, oats,
malt/barley, etc,  I fear that people with Type 1 Diabetes (and Celiac
disease) who might attempt the Sugarbusters diet without the assistance and
guidance of a Diabetes Educator or dietician, could encounter serious
trouble along the way with more frequent or harsher insulin reactions and
more difficulty with bringing oneself out of the reaction. I think it would
probably require a pretty saavy and experienced individual to juggle a
program of intensive-insulin therapy (multiple injections per day) and a
Sugarbusters-type of diet that recommends the avoidance of both refined
sugars and most gluten-free complex carbohydrates.

        I sincerely hope that any Type 1 Diabetic (with or without Celiac
Disease), interested in the weight-loss potential of the Sugarbusters diet,
would not attempt the diet unless working closely with a qualified Diabetes
health professional!

        Sorry to bring rain on the Sugarbusters diet!   As it has been
implied I hope we all think a few minutes about the messages we've prepared,
before we hit that send button.  How appropriate is the message for the List
and its audience?  Does the message require some clarification about what
type of problem or Diabetes the message would be best suited for?

        Sara Jones,
        Houston