CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:51:02 -0500

Fran:

> It's no wonder that kind of party would push a kid into mourning the
> loss and grieving process. I've been to office events that made me feel
> empty & left out because the focus is on the food- none of which is
> gluten free, or diabetic friendly. It does take time, and finesse to
> make sure your needs are met. She's been such a trooper- but she
> deserves her time to be angry & resent these diseases-- she's got every
> right. I hope you do get her the nerf bat & let her release those
> feelings. They are real, and need to be processed.
> It's healthy to have a good cry and say this is unfair..... it really
> is!

I completely agree! We saw the pediatric doc a little while ago and he
says Brit is doing terrific and he wishes all his patients has 6.2
A1c's. This doc is Brit's favorite and he made her feel better about
this and stated that she has a right to feel the way she does because
this is a hard thing to do.

> I wonder if it would be helpful to do up a one page outline of what is
> prohibited & how many carbs per meal & invite them to actually do this
> diet for ONE day. Walk a mile in this girls' path & then let's talk.

I would love to give this to them, but I don't know if it would fly. But
it certainly would make the point exactly.

So we are moving forward and the doc is sending a letter to me to give
to the school allowing Brittany to focus on other things (such as
helping out in other classrooms) when the monthly big bash comes around.
I have confidence she will work through this, but I much rather would
have had this whole mess triggered by something other than another
parent's actions (refusing to let apples be at the party). No wonder
diabetics or anyone can have trouble staying on their diet when you have
"nuts" like that around. (Especially one who happens to be a nurse by
profession!)

Alot of people have the attitude that "just a little won't hurt." Well,
we all know in celiac disease it does. And with diabetes it isn't a wise
choice either, unless you are involved in heavy exercise, etc. and
burning those carbs. I have always tried not to be too judgmental in
life about people, but I just never thought I would be dealing with
educated people that just don't have a CLUE in 1998.

Pam