CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:10:38 -0500

Thanks everyone to replying about Josh's situation ( 13 month old with
failure to thrive and other symptoms, with negative tests except IgG,
but responding to GF diet).  Most people felt, as we do, that you want
to do whatever necessary to make sure an infant is getting enough
nutrition.  So we've had Josh GF for just over a week now.  *Dramatic*
improvement.  His moods have improved, his weight has improved, and he's
down to one increasingly normal BM each day.  Last night we went camping
and, while two months ago when we went he screamed and cried and refused
to sleep even with us in the tent, this time he had no problems falling
asleep on his own in the tent.  We realized our camping food used to
contain a *lot* of gluten foods, poor thing!

We are continuing to go through the series of tests to rule out other
problems, which won't be affected by the GF diet  (CF, enzyme problems,
etc.) just to make sure the GF diet isn't eliminating other problems and
we miss a different disorder.  We also found out one of the other tests,
to test for malabsorption/digestion of carbs, was positive, so at least
the doc has evidence he's truly malabsorbing and is going to continue
working with us.

Jennifer