CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
twignbloom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:30:22 -0400

Hi!

I'm new to the list. We are still trying to determine whether or not our
son is a celiac kid. Currently his diagnosis is encopresis, which has no
known specific cause. Due to a family history of celiac sprue, I am
considering the possibility that this is the trouble behind the trouble.
I just have to find a doctor willing to listen.

I thought I would comment on the trouble of getting kids to stick to the
diet. My mother was diagnosed 32 years ago by a VERY astute doctor. The
diet was very hard for her as she loved foods like pizza, pasta and rye
bread. Back then food wasn't labeled as it is today, so it was extremely
difficult to follow the diet. "Fortunately", she had violent reactions
to any gluten at all, which helped her stick to the program. To make it
easier on her, my father became head chef at home, (he loves to cook)
and except for special treats to us kids, we ALL followed her diet. We
grew up reading labels and scrutinizing everything that came across our
table. We are lucky that the entire family, even in-laws, have gotten
used to the restrictions. Every party or gathering includes GF foods
that everyone enjoys. My mother said having others enjoy "her" food
really makes eating a pleasure again. The combined efforts of family and
friends have turned up some fabulous foods and scrumptious desserts that
would make any mouth water. I probably should gather them all on paper
and share them.

Maybe if the whole family followed the diet at home together, the kids
wouldn't feel so bad with the diet. Kids hate being too different from
the crowd, but if families, and especially siblings, enjoyed the same
food, it might not be as hard to say no outside of home. Have an
informal party for some of his/her friends and have all GF goodies. If a
few friends give their support, it can make life a LOT easier,
especially into the teens.

I hope my son turns out not to be celiac, but if he is, I'm prepared to
follow the diet with him. I'm not so sure about my pasta loving Italian
husband though!

Good luck to all the kids out there.

                                                                Sara
Semeraro