CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:41:25 +1200

I agree with Lindsay on this subject, that each family has to choose
what is best for them, and should not be labeled, or be labelling
selfish whichever way they go.

There is only one celiac in our family, our 9 year old adopted daughter,
Maureen. We have two other girls (aged 8 and 4 yrs). It has been
difficult enough getting Maureen  to adapt to eating only gf foods since
she was diagnosed a year ago without expecting everyone else to. However
for convenience I do usually make dinner in the evening gf, (sometimes
we have a mixture of gf and non-gf frankfurters or sausages - cooked
separately of course) and if I cook something for lunch eg soup, pizza,
waffles, pancakes etc then it will be gf. We also all eat gf pasta, have
learnt to live without most take-aways, ice-cream cones and a variety of
other gluten containing food. Maureen has gf bread and biscuits which no
one else is allowed to eat (because of the expense) but we all eat gf
rice and corn wafers when we wish to as well as our gluten bread and
biscuits. I don't do much gf baking, apart from her bread, because most
times Maureen won't even try it!

I also think it's good training for the celiac child to be aware that
there are times when he or she won't be able to eat what someone else
offers them, and that they need to ask a knowledgeable adult if they are
not sure. One of my proudest moments was when, at a Special Olympics
sports day Maureen (who has Down Syndrome) raced up to me, from some
distance away, to find out if she could eat the muffin she had been
given. Admittedly muffins are not her favourite food so she wasn't too
disappointed that one of her sisters got to eat it instead. This
incident was about a month after she had eaten a chocolate biscuit after
church while we were on holiday in a another town . I hadn't realised
biscuits were available till I saw the chocolate on her face. (We now
have small gf chocolate bars to compensate for the lack of chocolate
biscuits). And I admit that I no longer look forward to shared
lunch/afternoon teas etc, although it is becoming easier as long as we
know there is going to be one and are prepared with gf food.

When Maureen was first diagnosed we did go totally gf for lunch, at
home, as well as dinner to make it easier for her, but I gave up on that
idea after more than once cooking gf muffins only to have everyone
except Maureen eat them! I figured it wasn't fair to the others to be
making more sacrifices  than necessary. This isn't a reflection on my
cooking, but on the fact that we were doing without bread. So while I do
still make gf muffins it's because the rest of us like them (and to
avoid gluten contamination of the muffin pans), and so Maureen can have
one if she wishes.

Stella
New Zealand