CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lyn Lohmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lyn Lohmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:34:01 -0500

Hi, Wendy!

I live in Illinois, and I have NOT had ANY luck with my school district.  I even
asked if they would let me buy a microwave and keep it in their cafeteria
kitchen so my little girl could have hot lunch (provided and paid for by me)
warmed up for her once in a while.

The principal of the school originally told me they do not have room for a
microwave, but looking in the kitchen, I saw they had room for a coffee pot
(it's an elementary school), a radio, and a wicker basket of fake flowers.  The
principal also told me other parents would get mad if their kids didn't get to
use the microwave, too (she didn't ask anybody, though).

I went above her head to the Superintendant of the school district, who told
me they don't have enough cafeteria staff to allow someone to microwave or
warm up any gluten-free lunch for my daughter.  She said it would be too
much for a cafeteria worker to take time away from dealing with the rest of
the children to help my child.  I've asked if they could do this for my child
ONCE IN A WHILE, not every single day.  The super is going to "look into it"
and get back to me.

It kills me because I'm not even asking the school to pay for the microwave or
the gluten-free food!  I've heard that some schools do provide gluten-free
lunches for kids at the expense of the school, but the ones I've heard of are
not even in my state.  You might be able to find them in the archives.

Now that the weather is cold, I wish I'd have a little success here.  I was
reading that "public entities" are not required to give these equal opportunities
if doing so would alter the functioning of an already existing program or
activity, and that's what I think the school district is hiding behind.  I also
read that in these situations, people can file a complaint with the Justice
System within 180 days of the original denial of the request.  I saw it in the
archives, as well.  If you need help finding that, let me know.

I'm interested in knowing how things turn out for you in Colorado.  GOOD LUCK!

Lyn

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *