CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:36:18 -0800

Thanks for all the great suggestions on daycare/preschool cooking projects.  Here is a summary.  Happy cooking!
****
-Make blue Jell-O in a thin layer on a pie plate, pretending that it is a lake, decorate with cool whip 'snow,' gumdrop 'trees,' etc.
-Decorate Pamela's cookies with GF icing and candies.
-Spread peanut butter on a pinecone, roll in birdseeds and hang for local wild birds to feed.
****
Easiest Cookies Ever

1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
Hershey's Kisses

Mix first three ingredients & roll into small balls.  Push kisses on top.  Cook at 350 for 5-8 minutes.  One batch makes about 40 cookes.  We have left the kisses off and made cookies to be frosted with this recipe also.

-My sister makes GF fudge for my son, that's always a good holiday treat!
****
PEANUT BUTTER PLAYDOUGH PRETZELS
Ingredients:
2 cups non-fat dry milk
1 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons of honey

1.  Place all ingredients in a Ziploc bag.
2. Knead the ingredients together in the bag.
3.  Give each child a small handful of dough to roll out on wax paper like a snake
4.  Twist the snake to form a pretzel.  Eat!
****
My kids love pumpkin pie.  Libby's canned pumpkin and Carnation evaporated milk are GF.  You just have to use a GF crust - there are some mixes available.
****
Cinamon Ornaments (No cooking!)
Mix apple sauce and cinnamon until a dough forms, then roll out & cut out w/cooking cutters.  Poke a hole at the top for a ribbon to go through.  Just lay out on wax paper & dry for a day or two.
****
No-flour Peanut Butter Cookies.
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup (crunchy) peanut butter

With a wooden spoon,  stir together egg and sugar until uniform in color.  Add peanut butter and stir together until uniform in texture.  Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 until done, about 8-10 minutes.
****
The Rice Krispy Treat recipe adapts wonderfully - use any type of gluten-free cereal, add in whatever you want (i.e. food colouring that's GF, chocolate chips that are GF, etc) and then form fun shapes with your hands.

5 (or so, depends on cereal) cups of cereal
1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
1-2 Tbsp oil (any type)
Mix together (using your hands is FUN and messy) and then form shapes (balls, snowmen, bricks, etc).  Let dry out a bit, and then enjoy.

Can also substitute GF marshmallows by melting them in a pot with GF butter and then stirring in the cereal.
****
"kugel" muffin (kind of like a potato pudding)

1 bag of Carmel latke / tato mix (potato pancake) - it comes in 1 and 2 bag size boxes, so use 1 bag.  1 individual size applesauce (from the six pack thing), and 2 eggs (or substitute) and 1 cup cold water.  mix all together (again, hands make this easier), put into muffin tin (1 recipe makes 6 full size or 12 half size muffins) and bake at 375 F for 1 hour.  If you want them crispy on top, spray with cooking spray.  Also rmemeber to spray muffin tin or the papers (you can also use oil but I've found the spray that is labelled Kosher for Passover is safe for my kids).
****
Use a GF mix for muffins, brownies or cookies and decorate with GF frosting/sprinkles/etc.  You can use cookie cutters or molds to make shapes.  There are also mixes available for hot pretzels, goldfish, graham crackers, etc. (Miss Robens) which might be fun.
****

 Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *