CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Gowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:48:39 -0200

Please remember that some people are more sensitive than others to
gluten, and for some, cross-contamination is an issue, while for others,
it's not. An example is Kellogg's -- their "gluten-free" appearing
products may be manufactured in the same factory, or even on the same
manufacturing equipment, as wheat products, and thus could be
contaminated with minute traces of gluten. Someone might react to this
infintessimal amount (like my daughter) while others find that they can
consume Corn Pops without problem. Rice Crispies, and therefore anything
made from them, are sweetened with MALT which is made (usually) from
BARLEY. This is not good, as barley contains gluten.

Ultimately, the choice is yours as to what you allow your celiac to eat.
For our family, the more we reduce cross-contamination, the healthier
she becomes. For the first time in 6 years, our daughter is not reacting
to leaf mold (which every year has lead to bronchitis). The only
"change" has been to have a strictly "gluten-free" toaster.

Good Luck!

Jennifer