CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tracey Wolfskill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:21:18 -0400

Thanks for all the responses.  I'll start with the crumb/sitting in
close proximy question.  Here are the suggestions I received:

1) place food on a tray

2) make sure he has his own plate, so he has his own space for his food

3) teach him to use a napkin/bandana as a placemat

4) teach him to eat right out of his lunch box

5) explain to older kids and let them help

6) try not to worry (I hope to get there one day, really, I'm trying!!)

7) make sure teachers understand the importance of kids not sharing
food, but ask them not to make a fuss

8) don't serve things that are crumbly with a large crowd

9) "hover and try to keep his plate away from others without being too
obvious"  (this is me!!!!)

10) let him eat at his own table

11) don't eat somewhere where the person is lax about cleaning crumbs

12) keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't eat anyone else's food

13) eat GF with him if no one else is

14) once they get to school, you don't have control over what they
decide to eat anyway

15) don't let someone sit next to him who is likely to get crumbs in the
Celiac's space

I also received on horrifying story that broke my heart.  One mom wrote
that one of her 10-year-old Celiac son's classmates thought it would be
funny to sprinkle his gluten crumbs into her son's yogurt.  Her son
ended up getting sick either from the crumbs or from worrying about what
they would do to him.  I'm encouraged that so many of you shared how
good friends/cousins/family are in helping your children stay GF, and
hope this is an isolated incident.

As far as playdoh, I got varied responses.  Several people, especially
with older children, said they let their children play with regular
(gluten) playdoh and the children understand they have to wash their
hands afterwards.  A few said that they wouldn't let their children play
with regular playdoh because the child liked to put everything in
his/her mouth.  A couple have teachers keep playdoh away from their
child.  Some don't worry about it (no obvious reaction).  A few said
they make GF playdoh and provide it to the school for all the kids--and
remember to wash the toys to get the regular playdoh off.

A couple suggested giving the teacher a bag of rice flour and a recipe
to make GF playdoh.  Personally, I have decided to make my own GF
playdoh and take it for the whole class to use.  Kevin is not bad about
putting things in his mouth, but it's just one less thing to worry
about!

Tracey Wolfskill
mom of Kevin 2yo w/Celiac and Brian 6yo no Celiac
Fort Worth, TX, USA