CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Schirra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:13:44 EDT

Part Two of my summary

Okay, here is the list of lunch items:

Cold pizza (use the Bette Hagman pita bread recipe)
Cold chicken "nuggets" and plum sauce
'Wraps' - home-made tortillas with Carl Buddig corned beef, honey mustard and
lettuce in them
Cold meat and rice crisps
Veggies and dip
Cold chicken wings
Nachos/tortilla chips and salsa
Toffutti 'cheddar' slices and cream cheese substitute.
Chicken and rice soup in a thermos
Eckrich deli style meat all by itself
Celery with peanut butter
Chicken breasts cut into small pieces
Leftovers
Hard cheese, cheese sticks, cheese cubes and tortilla chips, string cheese,
soy cheese
Ham or turkey slices wrapped around a pickle
Hard-boiled eggs, Egg salad (always use a cold pack)
Carrot sticks, baby carrots,raw carrots w/salad dressing for dipping
Raw celery w/peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, and raisins (ants
on a log)
Those little packs of tuna, or make some tuna and put it in a Tupperware
container with some gf crackers, such as Health Valley rice bran crackers, on
the side.  She can either make a sandwich or eat it right out of the container
…dip her chips in it … teach your daughter to say no to kids who want to dip
their crackers in her tuna.
Bi Aglut Fette Tostate or Pecan Nut Thins.
Trail mix that I make up myself or get from Trader Joe's.
Briefly heat up corn tortillas until they're pliable, then spread with peanut
butter and jelly and roll up.  Pack when cool.
Cold quesadillas
Macaroni salad with ham and veggies
Rice salad
Fruit-fresh, tin fruit, dried fruit rolls, dried fruit, applesauce (Mott's),
fruit cups, gf apple sauce cups, cups of fruit (Dole or Del Monte)
Cold cuts wrapped around celery or baby carrots
Loose pieces of ham and turkey
Yogurt-soy, Yoplait, or Go-Gurt yogurt
Kinnikinnick bread is good for sandwiches
Jelly
GF chips or any mini bag of GF nibbles
Different flavored rice crackers …in a small plastic bag with no topping
Corn or rice cruskits
Gf salami or cold gf sausage
Home made gf sausage rolls
Piece of home made gf cake
Gf chocolate chip biscuits
Gf muesli bar
Surimi
Sushi
Cold fried rice
Pikelets
Pancakes
Popcorn, microwave able popcorn, Smartfood popcorn
Buy those little plastic bags that you can seal at the top and put several of
these with a variety of fillings into the child's lunch box
Apple sandwiches: slice an apple into circles then add peanut butter and
honey and put together like a sandwich
Peanut butter and crackers
Franks-n-beans
Chili
Leftover chicken
Taco meat (shells on the side)
Soup
Make roll-ups out of lunch meat without the bread
Salad
Cold pasta salad (add chick peas or kidney bean for extra protein)
Veggie sticks with dips, hummus, peanut butter, or salsa
Anything that can be eaten with a toothpick - cubed cooked marinated (or not)
tofu with diced fruit...
Power bars (balance bars have a few gluten free flavors)
Use the rival ice cream cone maker to make a flat wrap type of bread for
sandwiches
Beef and turkey jerky
Cottage cheese (check the labels, some brands are GF)
Potato chips
Cheetos, Cool ranch Doritos (but not regular Doritos)  Note from me: beware
of MSG in these
Pasta
Rice macaroni and cheese
Sloppy joes
Hot dogs, hot dogs with ketchup (heated in the thermos or cold), hot dog in a
thermos
Cooked veggies.
Bake cookies, cupcakes and brownies and put them in the school freezer.
Tortilla/waffle pizza-top a tortilla/waffle with sauce and your fake cheese
of choice...and any other toppings, good cold.
Anything you can throw in a thermos: chicken and rice, etc
Tortilla or pita (GF of course) with anything in it...
Sandwiches
Chips (ruffles-other frito lay products.)  Note from me: may want to question
the Ruffles due to recent posting to the list questioning their cross
contamination
GF pretzels
Muffins
Dinty Moore beef
Kraft, Jell-O, and Kozy Shack puddings
Save a gluten free meal (usually from the night before) in a small square
Gladware or similar reusable/microwavable container.  In the mornings, I warm
it quite hot, place it in her lunch bag that is insulated to keep foods warm,
and by 11:00 when they eat, it is still nice and warm and enjoyable.
Corn tortilla filled with dairy free cheese and black beans, or hummous;
after warming, wrap in tinfoil and it will usually stay nice until lunch
time.
Use a tortilla press to make homemade tortillas
Cold pad thai noodles with gluten free soy or peanut sauce
Olives
Japanese rice stick snacks.
Make a homemade version of a lunchable using Hormel meat slices that are the
same size and Chinese rice crackers. Save the plastic containers from your
other children's real lunchables, wash in the dishwasher and reuse for the
Celiac child. Add a GF juice box/pouch and a GF piece of candy.  Cover in
saran wrap.
Potato in a plastic bag and her favorite topping. Have the lunch ladies
microwave it till tender and she has a baked potato
Cereal in a plastic bowl and a cup of her milk frozen (it melts by lunch
time)
Pasta salad (I use Tinkyada veggie spirals, salad dressing & shredded chz,
but you could add raw veggies too)
Cheese/cream chz. & crackers (Blue Diamond Almond Wafers are my son's
favorite - he's 5)
Arnotts rice or Corn Cruskitts
Alphabet or animal spaghettios
Raisins
GF cereal in a bag
Fritos
Diced ham (my son likes to dip in honey)
Mixed nuts, peanuts, or cashews
Potato sticks
Nut thins (crackers)
Hormel Add-Ons
English muffin pizza (use homemade bread or Kinnikinnick English muffins)
GF rice krispy treats
Foods by George has good pizza crusts
Pepperoni slices
Mac and cheese in a thermos (usually leftover from the night before!)
Pizza (baked that morning, cooled to prevent cheese from getting too
messy,then wrapped in foil)
Peanut butter and fluff on rice cakes, peanut butter and honey on rice cakes
Trail mix (peanuts, m & m's, mini marshmallows, raisins)
No bake trail bars (recipe from some gf cookbook: basically you mix pb and
corn syrup, heat it up till smooth, pour it over a mix of gf cereals, nuts,
raisins, choc chips, m&m's, marshmallows, etc., then you pat it into a baking
pan, refrigerate and cut into bars.
Cucumber slices
Mi-Del animal crackers
Cracker Jacks
Ener-g foods whole grain rice crackers
Robert's American Gourmet Veggie Booty and Fruity Booty

I also received a couple of attached files with lunch ideas in them, which
would be too big to post.  If anyone is interested, I would be glad to email
them to you.  Thanks again to all.

Laurie in Butler, PA

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *