CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Wilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:27:06 -0600

So, I read this, and here is what it says:

"Generally, children with food allergies or intolerances do not have a
disability as defined under either Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act or
Part B of IDEA, and the school food service may, but is not required to,
make food substitutions for them."

Most kids I know with Celiac don't have an anaphylactic reaction to food, so
it seems unclear that the district HAS to provide them with something...

?

Sender:       Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free Children List
Poster:       Diane <[log in to unmask]>
---

<<Disclaimer:  Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

I have gathered a list of public school districts that serve a complete G=
F lunch=20
for celiac students. Since I had many more respond that they wanted to al=
so=20
have this list, I am posting it to the listserve.

Dracut Public Schools  -  Dracut, MA
West Bend School District  - West Bend, Wisconsin
Rochester Independent School District =96 Rochester, MN
Belchertown Public Schools =96 MA
Port Washington Saukville School District =96 Port Washington, Wisconsin
Fairfax County, VA    (County-wide school district)
Ventura Unified School District - Ventura, CA
Millard Public Schools in Omaha, Nebraska

This list was taken from responses from both the celiac and celiac kids=20=

listserves. I was surprised by the number of replies saying that their di=
strict=20
would not work with them. I have accepted this myself over the past years=
=20
but feel with the proper tools, all public schools can learn how to provi=
de a=20
safe GF lunch using techniques to eliminate cross-contamination. I don't =
think=20
of doing this just for my son, but rather paving the way for other celiac=
=20
families in the district.=20

Here are some valuable documents if you are considering the porcess with=20=

your children. You must request a 504 plan and the schools cannot talk yo=
u=20
out of it. It is your right.
This first document is published by the Gluten Intolerance Group and the=20=

American Celiac Disease Alliance.=20
http://www.gluten.net/downloads/print/Students%20with%20Celiac%
20Disease.pdf
Within this document are links to a sample 504 plan.

This next document is from the USDA explaining step by step instructions =
for=20
your school in developing a special dietary lunch program. Remember that=20=

celiac disease meets the requirements and does fall under the Americans w=
ith=20
Disabilities Act.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/CND/Guidance/special_dietary_needs.pdf

Good Luck,
Diane

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List
*

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *