CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:55:22 -0500

Here's a GREAT recipe for BBQ using either hamburger or beef pot roast:

2 pounds hamburger ( or a 2# pot roast)
1 15oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 TBLSP brown sugar
2 TBLSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBLSP dry mustard
1 tsp salt
Ketchup to taste
chili powder to taste

Last time, I also added a little salsa and cumin powder.

For hamburger:  Brown meat, drain.  Cook onion and green pepper in a little
oil and place with meat in slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and cook
for several hours (I make it around noon and it's great at suppertime).
Serve on toasted GF bread or rolls.  My son likes the EnerG tapioca loaf.

For pot roast:  Trim excess fat and cut meat into several pieces.  Place in
bottom of slow cooker.  Add all other ingredients and stir.  Cover and cook
on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours our until meat is very tender.  To
serve, turn to high heat setting.  Remove roast and skim excess fat from
sauce.  Cool meat slightlly, cut across grain into thin slices, or use 2
forks to shred meat.  Add meat to sauce, or if sauce needs thickening, add
1/4 cold water mixed with 1 TBLSP cornstarch to mixture to thicken, then
return meat to pan.

I hope someone enjoys this!  We like it best with hamburger.

-Mary, MIlwaukee, WI