CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dianna Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:14:02 -0500

 Wow! Everybody loves sushi! I got a lot of responses asking how to make
it. Now I'm really out on a limb because the worst book on sushi is
better than what I can tell you but I'll share what I've learned and
invite anyone else to expand on the subject (or to correct me).  I am
still a beginner.

The type of sushi I'm referring to is the rolled kind. They are made
with roasted seaweed, sushi rice seasoned with sweet rice vinegar, and whatever
fillings people prefer (fish, veggies, chicken, meat, sesame seeds, etc.).
I make them with the seaweed on the outside so the rice doesn't stick to Erik's
fingers.  The seaweed I buy has faint division lines on it and I use those
as a guide for placing the rice and for rolling. I also cut the seaweed sheets
with scissors to make the finished product a smaller diameter for Erik.
The sheets come dry and should be dampened on both sides and laid down on a flat
surface facing you (I use a chopping board). Then you place the rice on the
seaweed. Cool rice is easier to work with and keep a damp cloth handy to keep
your fingertips clean and whatever utensils need wiping because that rice is
sticky! Then add your fillings uniformly and carefully roll it away from you as
tightly as you can without ripping the seaweed. Use a very sharp knife, wiped
clean between cuts to cut them to your desired thickness. Serve with pickled
ginger and wasabi (Japanese horseradish) if desired.  Expect the first
couple tries to be a learning process and the failures still taste good! You can
hoard those in the kitchen. By my third try they were pretty good.

Our local supermarket carries sushi and if you special order, they'll
make it right then and you can watch. They also sell all of the
ingredients, but I shop at our local Asian market. Its much less
expensive and its fun. I even bought frozen roasted eel at the Chinese
market. That's my husband's favorite.  They tell me the powdered wasabi
is better because the tube kind can lose its kick with time.  Has anyone
found a good gluten free soy sauce?  Has anyone figured out the gluten
status of Thai red curry paste? The brand I buy is maesri. It has
"spices" and "galingale" as the questionable ingredients. Thanks and
have fun. Dianna