CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:51:09 EDT

Hi all.

My son Brandon 11, was diagnosed with CD at the age of 5.  Brandon is adopted
so I never worried about CD with anyone else in the family.  About two years
ago I was talking to my sister (who lives in another state) about her
problems with diarrhea, foul moods, bloating, gas, etc.....  I had talked to
her about being tested for CD, she had negative blood results so the doc
refused to do the biopsy.  She went gluten free anyway.  I had not seen her
until last week since long before she went GF, and what a surprise I had when
I did!  Not only is she totally under control health wise, but her body is
incredible.  She was always into body sculpting and worked out heavily.  She
even competed.  Now she tells me she doesn't lift anywhere close to what she
used to and doesn't work out half as much.  She has such definition it is
shocking to see.  This is what brings me to questions about your childen.

Brandon also has Down syndrome and typically children with Down's do not have
good muscle definition and have low tone.  Brandon is very lean, muscles very
defined and does not have low tone.  Do you see this with your children as
well?  Particularly those children who also have Down syndrome or who did not
have great tone or muscle mass prior?  I know when they were not diagnosed
they may have been getting into muscle wasting or just the effects from
malabsorption, but even kids with Down syndrome who do NOT have CD tend to
have less mass and low tone.

Any thoughts on this?  Also, I know this may sound pretty stupid, but I have
been getting some kind of info through e-mail about a bakery/healthfood store
(?) in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina and I haven't a
clue as to where this place is.  I guess they bake GF weekly, etc....  Does
this sound familiar to anyone?

Karin