C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:19:21 -0400
Carl Sagan also told me

in an ideal world, people with disabilities/impairments (that we do not
have to "hide") would be running the world.

he said that was a joke but there was a lot of truth in it.  the truth
is that before industrialization, physical strength and endurance
counted for a lot, for the vast majority of people.  Now with modern
technology, the future was in accepting that people generally have
shifting patterns of strength and weakness.  That is, abilities and
difficulties, and these often change over time.  Whether you are
"normal" or impaired/disabled or whatever.

and he also said that as people with CP and other conditions gained
acceptance, we'd have the same (low but real) chance of getting famous
or very accomplished ourselves, as "normal" people.  it wouldn't be a
matter of parents and siblings, and other loved ones, doing work on our
behalf anymore, not exclusively anyway.  and assuming of course,
interest, motivation, and a certain baseline level of physical and
mental capacity.

none of which is meant to say that fame or a bunch of degrees is
something that people should "have" to achieve.  that was my first
reaction to what he said.  he said no, what he meant was, it was kind
of paternalistic to assume that relatives would work for success, but
not us on our own behalf.

I thought that was very interesting.

he also said

"the thing about fame is you get nicer equipment"

and then he smiled.

he was a very moral person.

take care,

Mary Katherine