C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:28:14 -0400
Oh Linda, I've no doubt what you say is true.  You are grading papers,
tests, after-school stuff, etc.

My wife, Laura, on the other hand, teaches special ed.  Homework for these
kids is asking a lot, so when she comes home from work, she's done for the
day.  She's worked at three districts since we've been married, so I think
it's probably the same most places--for Special Ed., mind you.  That's not
to say that while she's at work she doesn't work hard.  It's just that I've
never seen her do much past the occasional IEP at home.  Remember, too, that
Spec. Ed. teachers often don't have even ten kids in their class.

I think teaching is one of those careers that you get out what you put in.
I've seen some of Laura's mainstream colleagues work their butts off and
I've seen some do the bare minimum.  There seems to be such a dearth of
teachers right now that a lot of districts are looking for "warm bodies".
Where my parents live in Florida, you can get a "temporary" certification in
some cases without even a B.A.

What grade level/subject do you teach?  Does your district tenure?  Laura's
been at it fourteen years and she has her M.Ed. plus 30, so she gets the
pick of the assignments.