C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:08:20 -0400
Sorry, Folks.

I sent this off this am and have been off-line since.

Thanks for fixing the link, Dan.

[ I'm not sure what happened - I cut and pasted the link from the e-mail I recieved.  Do all my posts come with "=20" ? I've seen e-mail from others with that. How do I fix it?]

Anyway, what Dan says is true: it IS just a movie. And usually I don't get too upset over this kind of thing but this one struck a cord, I guess. But when is enough enough? Where do we draw the line as a society? This is not a parody or a satiric commentary. This is a movie that takes a rare, fatal condition affecting children and pokes fun at it in a crude, tasteless way. Aren't there enough stereotypes and misperceptions out there about people with chronic illnesses and disabilities? Do we really want to make it okay for ANYTHING to be the subject of a joke? I for one don't want to see a movie about someone with CP drooling or falling down just for cheap laughs. I would be outraged. I'm all for freedom of expression but I do think that we need to speak up when we find something offensive. If others are not offended then this protest will come to naught.

I don't want to offend anyone and I do realize this is off topic, but I thought it was somewhat relevant from a societal perspective and that  it might spark some discussion on the list.

Yvonne
Anthony's Mommy