C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:09:04 -0500
Kyle

That's horrible! What a tragedy. And how despicable to have used that ploy. I hope he's locked up somewhere.

Actually, I have to be careful about assuming Anthony can't / won't go anywhere on his own. He generally is only able to manage a VERY slow creep on his own. But the other day he was on his brother's bed. I went in the other room for something. I was gone maybe 30 seconds. I came back in and he was sitting on the floor by the bed! He had inched his way to the foot of the bed and slid himself onto the floor in a sitting position! Very proud of himself, too! He just laughed at me while I was imagining all sorts of ways he could have hurt himself! Little devil! :-) Never underestimate your kids!!!

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/05/02 01:22PM >>>
Yvonne, here's an absolute-truth story:

As you know, I work at the Franklin County (Columbus), Ohio courthouse.  Two
years ago we had a prisoner (forgery) who claimed to be disabled and needed
a chair, as he claimed he could not walk.  He was being transported from the
holding cell to the courtroom, and because the doors were too narrow in the
jail hallway they brought him through the courthouse lobby to get to the
courtroom.

Because the deputies thought he was immobile, and he was a non-violent
offender, he was not cuffed or shackled.  He was accompanied by one female
deputy.

When they got to the lobby, he jumped from the chair and overpowered the
deputy, taking her sidearm in the process.  He ran out the front of the
building and commandeered a young man's car at gunpoint.  The kid hesitated,
so the prisoner shot and killed him, pushing his body onto the street.  He
drove away, but was stopped two blocks away by a phalanx of officers and
police cars.  He dropped the pistol and did not resist any further.

His victim was eighteen, a newlywed and father-to-be.  As is typical of all
governmental policy, steps were put in place to prevent this, but only AFTER
there was a tragedy.  Of course, in knee-jerk response, the truly disabled
prisoners are now regarded with much suspicion and little care is given to
their special needs.

No relationship to your post, other that the cartoon's caption reminded me
of this incident.

(BTW--as it was lunch hour on a beatiful autumn day, I and my colleagues saw
much of what happened after the murderer was outside the building.)