C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:11:08 +0400
Hi to all!
There is my first letter to this list but I read your letters for
about a year.
I am not CP, and have no any one relatives with CP. But for the last 2 years
with my friends I am working  with peoples who has CP. We developed a new
method (as we think)for rehabilitation people with CP and have  good results.
Our main idea is to compare the nervous system of men with computer.
We addressed this problem (rehabilitation of the nerve, muscular and motor
coordination of patients with Cerebral palsy) from the point of view of physicists and sportsmen, not doctors.
What takes place if bad areas appear on the hard disk of a computer?  The
information recorded on such areas is lost and when these areas are addressed
the programs begin to malfunction.   What does the operator do?
Throw the computer away?  No.  He formats the disk and puts marks on
the bad areas of the Winchester disk.   The computer is once again like new,
except that the memory capacity has been reduced by the capacity occupied by
the bad areas.
ICP patients have damaged brain areas, a kind of "bad areas."  In young children
anomalous neuronal bonds are formed which are due to the presence of such damage,
and the formed functional system turns out to be different from the genetically
predetermined.   In spite of the huge reserve of brain cells and healthy areas,
the anomalies are consolidated and it is extremely difficult to reorganize them.
The result is one of the forms of CP.  For instance, spastic paralysis or
hyperkinesis, wherewith a person makes involuntary, uncontrolled movements.

As experience shows, under certain conditions the organism is capable of working
properly.  For instance, spastic paralysis is weakened under the effect of medicines,
patients with hyperkinesis calm down. Quite often, patients ill with hyperkinesis in
a certain emotional state are capable of carrying out correct movements.
This means that they have a sufficient number of reserve interneuronal bonds,
corresponding to the genetically provided and they can use them.
Is it possible, in a manner similar to the case of a computer, to "reformat"
the brain of an ICP patient?  How can new bonds be made with healthy areas of the brain
and the damaged areas be taken out of circulation?  How can an anomalously established
system be reinformed?   It is a fact that nature took care of that after the formation of
a functional system the brain would be "closed" for readjustment.  This ensures stability
of the entire further existence of the organism.

Our experience shows that such reinforming is possible if:
*  the maximum possible number of receptors of a body performing a correct,
genetically predetermined movement are excited simultaneously with the
maximum possible intensity, and a complex powerful signal is sent to the brain;
*  pain and fear are removed;
*  the endocrine system is activated and the output of endorphins increased;
*  movements are carried out in regions in which movements are not possible
because of the illness, and new information is introduced into the brain;
*  blood circulation is intensified and normal electrochemical medium in the region
of receptors and proprioceptors is restored;
*  nerve tracts are introduced in the regimen of easening the conduction of nerve pulses;
*  muscles, previously not working and atrophied as a result of the illness are strengthened..

The method and apparatus for carrying it out which we have developed makes
it possible to carry out the complex indicated above simultaneously in its entirety.

Method and apparatus for rehabilitation of nerve, muscular and motor coordination
of patients with disturbances of the central nervous system

The method is based on the action of low frequency vibrations on a large complex
of stressed muscles, wherein the vibrational action is applied in such a manner as to cause contraction of the muscle fibers in their natural direction.   The frequency of the vibrations is selected for the most part coinciding with the frequency of the contractions of the stressed muscles (within the frequency range of toothed tetanus).

One of the variants of the apparatus for biomechanical stimulation is a vibrator with
readjustable vibration frequency in the range of 10-150 Hz.
The main operating range is 15-20 Hz.  The vibrator is secured on a base using
one or several levers with movable joints and load-bearing elements.

The vibrational action on the muscles in the direction of their natural contraction
and stretching is carried out due to the fact that we make one of the bones or a group
of skeleton bones vibrationally move with a small amplitude in space.
The tendons and muscles linked to these bones are also made to vibrationally contract
and stretch.   That is, we carry out forced movement of the movable parts of the skeleton
at the vibration frequency.   Since the manipulations are carried out with stressed muscles
of the patient, the action is on a large group of synergic muscles which participate
in such movement.   Simultaneously, the patient either of his own free will or under
compulsion carries out slow movement, for example, bending or straightening an arm,
 leg, moving the shoulder …, displacing the vibrator in space, adding information on
 macromovements.   All the treatments are carried out with maximum stress of
the patient's muscles, desirably of the whole body, and not only the limb to which
the vibrator is applied.   The optimum result is achieved when the vibration frequency
coincides with the natural frequency of vibration of the stressed muscles of the patient.
Such a coincidence - resonance, is fixed according to the feelings of the patient himself
and is relatively subjective.   The patient feels, for example, warmth flowing from
the foot to the knee or hip when the vibrator is placed against the foot of a stressed leg,.

During 5-10 days, for 2-5 minutes a day, the patient is subjected to intensive action of
low frequency vibration on stressed muscles. The series is repeated after a break of 1-3 months.

Improvements are evident from series to series in the form of a rising saw.
There is improvement, then possibly a small regression.   The subsequent series starts
from a new state etc.

Best regards,
 Skorbun                          mailto:[log in to unmask]