C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:13:34 -0700
> Bobby's remark was not seen as "offensive" it was
> labelled "tacky" in
> the sense that it failed  to consider the feelings
> of people on the
> list who despite their best endeavours have not
> found employment.
> This is not a question of political correctness.

Finding employment is tough for anyone (disabled or
AB)!  But there are some ppl who won't look for
anything but their dream job.  It took me 10 months to
find an IT job after college because I overlooked many
other possiblities.  When I quit the $15 job, I wised
up and looked for *anything* that would help pay the
bills.  When I took this state job, I had no clue
where it would take me.  It's been a year and I love
it!

Another example:  My husband took a cheesy $7/hr
technician position for the money only not a career.
In that time, he's gone from bench tech to shipping
clerk to shop manager.  And this April, he became
manager of the entire service center.

Moral of this:
1.  Be open-mined about job possibilities
2.  Submit resumes and go on interviews even when you
aren't qualified  (you may match a unadvertised
position, plus it's good practice)
3.  Government and established companies seem to be
more open to hiring those with disabilities than small
places that may not have the income to risk hiring you
to find out that you won't work out
4.  Volunteer work is a great way to get your foot in
the door.  (Know a CPer who volunteered at a hospital
while in high school and got hired when she
graduated.)
5.  Jennifer McCarthy has way too much time on her
hands or too many things to say this afternoon (or
wants to make enemies <smile>)

Gets off soapbox a second time,
Jennifer

=====