C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:39:26 -0500
Between marriages I got pretty depressed, so my doc friend suggested I go
back to school or something.  I decided to get my instrument ticket.  It was
actually easier for me than someone with binocular vision because I was used
to seeing in two dimensions anyway.  Still, I would never knowingly fly in
bad weather or low visibility conditions.  When you train or take the exam
you wear a hood that (supposedly) prevents you from seeing outside the
aircraft.  If things get hairy you can always flip that sucker up and get
visual.  Can't do that in fog or thunderstorms.  You really need a
high-performance aircraft too--something that can get you around the
weather.  The junk I can afford to rent can't get out of the way of its own
shadow.

A good friend of mine flies left seat in DC-9s for a national carrier.  I
was trying to get home from DC (for Christmas) some years ago and I got
stuck in Pittsburgh.  There was a huge snow/rain/freezing rain storm over
all the northeast and flights were being cancelled right and left--including
mine.  I couldn't get a room, so I was prepared to spend the night in the
airport (that's a thrill not to be missed if you've never had the pleasure)
when I ran into my buddy.  Just so happened that he was dead-heading an
empty plane back to Columbus before the airport shut down.  Seems that the
airline decided the turbulence would be too rough for passengers, but they
needed that plane at CMH for an early morning flight.  Since it was just
himself and the copilot, he said that he could sneak me on the plane and I
could ride in the jumpseat behind his.  What a hoot!

It was illegal as all get-out (no pax in the cockpit, etc.), but no
questions were asked.  Had to ride backwards, which felt reallly, really
strange on takeoff and landing.  We were doing about 320 knots through this
rainstorm and I was sure the windshield was going to bust.  It was just like
someone had turned on a firehose six inches from the glass--loud as hell!

When we got to Columbus there was an 800' ceiling.  It was so scary to drop
through those clouds and see the runway RIGHT THERE!  Of course, these guys
let the autopilot take the thing right down the glideslope to the tarmac,
but it was still a wild ride anyway.  I would not want to have been back in
the cabin where I couldn't see what was going on.  I guess that's why I
don't like to fly commercially all that much--you're insulated from what's
going on up front.